Rather than write about what we have been studying in Geography I thought I’d give you some amazing geography facts. All about this planet that we call home, you may have heard some of these before, but I doubt you’ve heard of all of them. Enjoy these amazing Geography facts!
- Continents shift at about the same rate as your fingernails grow.
- Ninety percent of the earth’s population lives in the northern hemisphere.
- California has more people than all of Canada.
- Australia is wider than the moon.
- In the Philippines, there’s an island that’s within a lake, on an island that’s within a lake, on an island. (You could research the island called Vulcan Point).
- Mount Everest, the world’s tallest mountain, can fit inside the Marianas Trench, the deepest part of the ocean.
- Russia spans 11 time zones!
- Africa is the only continent that covers four hemispheres.
- Sudan has more ancient pyramids than Egypt.
- 20% of oxygen is produced by the Amazon.
Miss Gilmour, Head of Geography